Sunday 29 March 2020

Will these dry... churches... live?

My take on today's OT passage. A paraphrase I wrote some years ago. Interesting to look at in the light of church having to exist without (as in Scottish use) her buildings.

O God, I don’t know
Ezekiel 37.1 – 14
The hand of God came upon me and led me out. God’s Spirit set me down in the middle of a valley; it was full of churches. God led me all round them; there were very many lying the valley, and they were very dry. God spoke to me, saying ‘Mortal, can these churches live?’ I answered, ‘ O God, I don’t know.’
Then God said to me, ‘Prophesy to these churches and say to them: O dry churches, hear the word of God. Thus says God to these churches: I will cause my Spirit to enter you, and you shall live. I will give you a purpose and teach you to love, I will heal you and put my Spirit within you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am God.’
So I prophesied as I had been commanded; and suddenly there was a noise, a rattling of keys and stone and windows, a clunking of pews and chairs, a breaking of glass. The churches came together, they found a purpose but there was no life in them. God said to me, call to the Spirit, call mortal and say to the Spirit: ‘Thus says God, come from the four winds, from the ends of the earth, breathe upon these dead churches, that they may live.’ I prophesied as God had commanded me, and the Spirit came into them and they lived, they stood on their feet, a vast multitude.
Then God said to me, ‘Mortal, these churches are the body of Christ. They say, ‘Our churches are dried up, and our hope is lost, we are cut off and declining.’ Therefore prophesy, and say to them. Thus says God, I am going to open your doors and bring you out from your buildings, and you are going to live. O my people, I will bring you back to life. You will know that I am God, when I open your doors and bring you out from your buildings, O my people. I will put my Spirit within you and you shall live, and I will bring you to a fertile place; then you will know that I, your God, have spoken and will act.’

No comments:

Post a Comment